CAREER IN VIDEO EDITING
What is Video Editing
The Video Editor Works Closely With The Director to Achieve The Best Final Film Outcome, With The Goal of Telling The Story in The Most Effective and Creative Way.
What exactly does a video editor do?
A video editor uses footage, sound and graphics to tell a story. The Career in Video Editing Should have creating treatments and storyboards; developing scrip ts; producing and editing videos and photos for multiple platforms, from short-form daily content for social media platforms to long-form series; and sourcing and/or creating and adding graphics, animations, special effects, music, sound effects and sound bites. That All done by Video Editor
Career Paths for Video Editors
- Film Editor – Works on feature-length productions, making sure that the film follows the director’s creative vision. Assembles clips in a sequence, cutting together the footage and building the story.
- TV Studio Editor – Much of the work that takes place in a TV studio is about making things happen in real-time. Focuses on switching between cameras, overlay graphics, and other visuals that help live broadcast audiences experience the show.
- Event Video Editor – Many events, particularly weddings, are captured on video for the clients. There’s plenty of this work to go around, and it’s a popular way to get your start in video editing.
- Web Video Editor – Works on short-form videos designed to be published on the web. The variety of clients and subject matters you can work with is endless and could vary week to week.
- Animator – Creates motion graphics, and puts the finishing touches on productions. In addition to the common video editing platforms, they have skills in effects programs like Adobe After Effects as well.
- Colorist – A special purpose editing role that focuses on perfecting color and other visual settings that give the production a cohesive, polished feel.
What is a Video Editor’s Job?
A video & film editor’s job is to take videotapes to produce a single refined piece of video & films. In today’s era, video editors are considered to be the backbone of any post-production process. The main key responsibility of a video editor is to edit all and any kinds of visual media-form, like soundtracks, videos, and film for the cable and broadcast visual media industries.
Job salary in video editing
Being a professional field, there is no dearth of jobs for video editors; but this doesn’t mean that there is no competition either. This means the salary that you would draw would also be decided by market forces.
Someone who is recently starting out in the field can expect around 10,000 to 15,000 as salary per month. But, once you gain experience and the necessary skills to mark your place in the industry, salary of a video editor can grow exponentially. A creative and experienced video editor working for a large studio can earn a salary of Rs 40,000 to Rs 75,000 very easily.
Qualification a for video editing
A qualification is not essential but it could help you gain practice by practice skills, like using editing equipment and software. You could study towards a course in film, video or media production. Video editing is a very technical process, but it’s also a creative process.
Video Editing Course Fees
Different institutes for video editing (Video Editor) courses have different fees according to the course. The fees for a Video Editing course can be around Rs 50000 to Rs 100000. It All Dependent on your Creativity and skills
Some of the Main Institutes for Video Editing Course
Edit Works School of Mass Communication, Noida www.editworks.co.in
Film and Television Institute of India, Pune www.ftiindia.com
Iimc JNU New Campus, New Delhi www.iimc.nic.in
NRAI School of Mass Communication, New Delhi www.nraismc.com
Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute, Kolkata
Best Video Editing Software
Responsibilities for Video Editor
- Meet with clients to establish the desired feel and look for the video to be created
- Gather and transfer all forms of media into editing software and ensure each was updated in the correct format
- Operate computer editing systems and equipment used for video media and effects
- Establish a clear understanding of the storyline and purpose of the video’s creation
- Create an initial proposed storyboard draft of the video to present to clients and receive approval before beginning to digitally alter video
- Improve video and sound quality using various video software
- Edit video to include preselected music, interviews, sound clips and other important aspects of the project
- Ensure the correct formatting and presentation for finalized videos according to client’s specifications