What is FASHION DESIGNING?
It is the art of working out different styles using a wide range of fabrics, colors, and trends to create apparel that reflects the fashion styles of a particular time. Like, for example, when a celebrity wears a designer wear the designer also attends to what kind of handbag, footwear, or other accessories they will carry.
Skills essential to become a Fashion Designer:
To grow a strong fashion designer being up to date with the latest fashion trends and having the love for designing clothes isn’t enough. You also need to possess the right skill sets. Some of the skills essential for becoming a fashion designer are mentioned below –
- Productive and imaginative thinking
- Influential drawing skills
- Strong visualization skills along with a good eye for detail.
- One great understanding of texture, fabrics, color, etc.
- An ambitious spirit
- Interest in the latest fashion trends
- Good communication skills and the ability to work with a team.
A course in fashion designing is the best way to learn the art of the trade. Some of the best fashions designing courses in India are:-
Institute of Fashion Technology:
- In Fashion and Apparel Design
- Diploma in Fashion and Lifestyle Entrepreneurship
- Diploma in Fashion Business Management – 1 Year
- Diploma in Fashion Design 1 Year
- Diploma in Visual Merchandising – 6 Months
- PG Diploma in Fashion Design and Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Fashion Communication
- Post Graduate Diploma in Fashion Design – 2 Years
- Undergraduate Diploma in Fashion & Apparel Design
- National Institute of Fashion Technology: (Nift)
List of UG Programs
- Des. (Fashion Design)
- Des. (Leather Design)
- Des. (Accessory Design)
- Des. (Textile Design)
- Des. (Knitwear Design)
- Des. (Fashion Communication)
- FTech. (Apparel Production)
List of PG Programs
- Des. (Master of Design)
- F.M. (Master of Fashion Management)
- FTech. (Master of Fashion Technology)
Top Colleges offering Fashion Designing Courses in India
People were not very keen to adopt fashion as their profession. But, in the last few decades, the popularity of fashion has increased. Naturally, people realized the scope of this industry. Thus, the institutes and colleges with different types of fashion designing courses in India have evolved. Following are some of the top in the list:
- National Institute of fashion technology, Bangalore
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
- National Institute of fashion technology, Delhi
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Delhi
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
How to get admission in Fashion Designing Courses in India?
Fashion Designing is a successful course choice among students today. Given the growing popularity of the course, a group of colleges has started assessing students for their natural fair towards fashion trends and their basic knowledge of different materials, fabrics, colors, and weaving techniques, etc. The general academic qualification criterion in different level courses in Fashion Designing courses are –
Academic Qualification Required
- Diploma Level Courses: Successfully cleared class 12th exam with any stream from a recognized education board
- Undergraduate Level Courses: Aspiring candidates should have completed their class 12th examination from any recognized education board or its equivalent to any other qualification.
- Postgraduate Level Courses -: Aspiring candidates should have completed their Bachelor’s Degree from any recognized University with a minimum of 45% marks in aggregate or any other equivalent qualification.
Top Fashion Designing Entrance Exams in India
To secure admission at some of the top fashion designing institutes in the country students need to clear different entrance exams. Some of the popular entrance exams conducted for courses in fashion designing is:-
|Entrance Exam||Conducting Institute|
|NIFT Entrance Exam||National Institute of Fashion Technology|
|Pearl Academy Entrance Exam||Pearl Academy|
|NID Entrance Exam||National Institute of Design|
|Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design (UCEED)||IIT Bombay|
|Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED)||IIT Bombay|
|AIFD WAT||Army Institute of Fashion Design|
|SET for Design||Symbiosis Institute of Design|
Popular Job Roles for Fashion Designers
Fashion Designing is a lucrative career option as Fashion Designers are no less than celebrities and have a huge fan following of their own. Some of the popular job profiles for Fashion Designers are: –
- Fashion Designer
- Fashion Marketer
- Fashion Concept Marketer
- Quality Controller
- Fashion Consultant/Personal Stylist
- Fashion Show Organisers
- Technical Designers
Importance of Fashion Designing Courses in India
Fashion designing is not restricted to a single pathway. Today, there are many different categories of fashion design where individuals can look in and choose the one that suits their ability and likes. The courses offered by the well-known fashion designing institutes have changed the lives of individuals. Following are some of its importance:
- Fashion designing courses open a different path for career
- People with creativity and artistic mind get a good scope to flourish
- You can learn each design from the well-known trainers and fashion artists recruited in fashion designing colleges. They have industrial exposure
- With constant practice in designs, you can easily learn the best in the fashion designing class
- Opportunities of job and business are opened to you constantly
- The pass-out graduate or diploma holders from the well-known fashion designing college can easily open their firm.
- It is possible to work with several organizations as a fashion designer as a freelancer.